I enjoy BYOB restaurants as it allows the consumer to decide what they want to drink and/or bring a special bottle (or any bottle) for standard retail price.
But what about restaurants that have a wine list but have a corkage fee. Is it worth it? What is too much to charge? And what does the corkage fee get you?
I was at a famous steakhouse celebrating a friends impending nuptials and wanted to bring some special bottles. The restaurant, which has a large wine list, had two rules. First corkage was $30/bottle (no limit) and second the bottle could not be on the wine list. The second rule I find very fair. The $30 was a bit high but the service provided put my mind at ease. There was a lighter Syrah and two younger California Cabernet's. The waiter immediately brought out two decanters for the Cabernet. The lighter Syrah was immediately poured as the waiter knew the order of wine without having to ask. Each bottle received a new clean glass with the appropriate stemware. Decanter's, appropriate stemware and a knowledgeable staff justified the $30 corkage fee.
Other restaurants have stricter policies including for every bottle brought from the outside a bottle needs to be purchased from the restaurants wine list.
I always prefer to bring my own bottles if possible. How do you feel about corkage fee's.
No comments:
Post a Comment