Friday, May 10, 2013

From my cellar - May 10th 2013

Volnay has a special place in my heart. As I was getting into wine I was introduced to Volnay through a friend of a friend. It was the first wine that I tasted that provided a sense of place. With the weather in the mid 80's today I decided to grab a Pinot Noir and I decided to open a 2009 Maison Roche de Bellene Volnay Taille Pieds. Taille Pieds is classified as a premier cru. Taille Pieds is known for its lighter complex Pinot Noirs.

The 2009 Maison Roche de Bellene Volnay Taille Pieds is much darker than expected and provides much more intense flavors than in previous years. The front palate has light effervescence which gives way cherry and subtle holiday spice notes. The mid plate palate has firm structure, light tannin, root beer and cola flavors. The best part of this is the finish. The finish has great length and a myriad of complex flavors.

Recommendation: The 2009 Maison Roche de Bellene Volnay Taille Pieds is a bit more intense in flavor than previous vintages and is reminiscent of a New World wine. The sense of place and restraint that I love of Volnay takes a back seat. I attribute this to one of the great things about Volnay which is vintage variation. This is a wonderfully complex Pinot Noir and should cellar for another decade (price $100+)/


No comments:

Post a Comment