Thursday, April 4, 2013

What I Drank 04/03/2013

Purchasing wine when out a restaurant can be a daunting task. Price gouging is the number one issue on my mind. The restaurant I was at last night was selling for double retail price which I find acceptable ($47 retail, $84 on the wine list). I found this even more acceptable as we presented with Pinot Noir glasses once we ordered.

Prior to last night I have not tried nor heard of Emeritus Vineyards but we agreed to try something new. After some quick research I learned that Hallberg Ranch is located in the Russian River Valley and is the estate vineyard of Emeritus. Based on my recent good fortunes with 2010 Russian River Valley Pinot's, I selected the 2010 Emeritus Vineyards, Hallberg Ranch.

The 2010 Emeritus Vineyards, Hallberg Ranch did not disappoint. The front palate had a mix of ripe raspberry and blackberry flavors coated with coffee grinds. The ripe berry flavors continued boldly through the mid palate held by the firm structure and balanced acidity. The finish is bit shorter than expected and I was hoping for a bit more complexity.

Overall a great selection with my scallops and calamari.

Recommendation: 2010 Emeritus Vineyards, Hallberg Ranch is drinking excellent at the moment with a great front and mid palate full of ripe berry and balanced acidity. While the finish was a bit disappointing it is on my restaurant order again list.

No comments:

Post a Comment