Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What I Drank - 04/16/2013

I am normally a red wine drinker but today was the first mid 70 day and a red wine did not feel appropriate for the weather. Tonight I opened the 2011 Darioush Viognier. This is a full bodied white wine that would satisfy any red wine drinker.

The Darioush Viognier vineyard is located in the Oak Knoll appellation (actually right behind Bistro Don Giovanni).

The initial palate is summer fruit, honeydew and melon, but the mid palate gives way to subtle apricot notes. The wine has good acidity and firm structure similar to a lighter pinot noir. The wine coats the entire mouth and the structure brings the fruit notes and acidity to the finish. The finish is long in length and is characterized by the same apricot notes but in the back of the palate. The honeydew also returns as the finish coats the entire mouth.

Recommendation: This Viognier is the benchmark but which all other wines should be measured. This wine is a bit pricey ($41) but also very hard to find due to its popularity. A must try for any red wine drinkers who refuse or who have second thoughts drinking red wine.

***Editor's Note - I am a First Offering Member at Darioush including 6 bottles of Viognier a year***

No comments:

Post a Comment