Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Buying Wine

Each Spring and Fall my email is bombarded with offers from wineries. Combine that with the emails from the discount wine websites (WTSO, Wine Access, Lot18, Invino, etc) and deciding how to allocate my finite budget with the seemingly infinite offers is daunting. How to decide? I always appreciate the wineries that send out a pre-email to let me know that an offer is forthcoming. This allows some budget forecasting. I immediately discard offers that tell me in what multiples I have to purchase (minimum of 3 or 6). Wineries that offer shipping deals tend to move to the top of my list. I do not expect free shipping but for 6+ bottles a flat rate special should be standard. I always try two new wines a year if possible from the mailing lists. There is a risk in purchasing before you taste but it helps to expand the palate. And you never know what you may try that will be amazing. How do others make Spring Allocation decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment