Monday, March 25, 2013

What I Drank - 03/24/2013

I enjoy retrying wines from places that I have visited but almost forgotten about due to the length of time since the last taste. It is almost like a reintroduction to an old friend. I first visited Anaba in May of 2009 during the Sonoma Valley Vintners & Growers event. The winery is located right off 121 in Sonoma not far from Cline and Ravenswood. The winery is an old farmhouse that is small and quaint. The real standout of the tasting room is the outdoor deck that overlooks the vineyards. It is the perfect place to end your day if you are in the Carneros region of Sonoma. Although my wife would counter that Gloria Ferrer is the ideal place to end the day and truthfully neither option is incorrect.

An offer from WTSO crossed by email for 4 bottles of Anaba Pinot Noir 2010 Sun Chase Vineyard Sonoma Coast which was rated 91 points by James Laube of Wine Spectator. I normally do not buy on rating alone but I remember liking the Pinot at Anaba (another post on taking notes during wine tasting in the future) and my palate tends to agree with Mr. Laube so I bought the offering.

We had our friends over for Sunday dinner and opening two bottles with the chicken and vegetables seemed like the perfect choice.
The front palate had notes of chocolate covered cherries and red fruit. The mid palate pushes the cherry and fruit notes to the back as hints of dark chocolate with a touch of oak coat the middle of the mouth. The strongest and best part of the wine was the finish which has a unique sweet earthiness. The earth in the finish gives the wine a long finish that leaves you wanting another sip.

Recommendation: A great wine that changes character at each point in the both making for a complex and enjoyable wine. Sold-out on the website.

***Editor's Note - this wine was purchased on WTSO.COM***

No comments:

Post a Comment