Monday, March 18, 2013

Wine and Indian Food

I am not a huge fan of pairing wine with food. When I am tasting a wine one of my judging criteria for purchase is the wine's ability to stand alone. I am well aware that this is a new world wine bias as many French and Italian wines can transform with the appropriate foods. But we will save the general discussion for another post.

Pairing wine with Indian food provides a number challenges. The first is the spice as spice an overwhelm your taste buds. Second, in line with the first, are the other spices that do not provide heat but also can overwhelm the senses including coriander, ginger, star anise, cumin, mustard, mint and many others. Lastly is the sauces which can vary from sweet to savory.

I typically eschew red wines. I find Cabernet fights with the spices and Pinot is much to delicate and becomes lost on the palate. When picking from the wine fridge I lean in one of two directions, Viognier or Sauvignon Blanc.

I like the acidity that Sauvignon Blanc brings to the table. I find Sauvignon Blanc without any oak influence compliments many of the sauces in Indian. The acidity also holds up well against the heat and the apple/melon notes compliment the Christmas spices.

Viognier is a choice if I know we will be having Tikka Masala or Saag. The honeysuckle and slight new French oak use of Darioush's Viognier provide a rich finish that marries well to the richness of the dishes.

Typically our "go-to" white wine for Indian is Sauvignon Blanc. What are your choices?



No comments:

Post a Comment