In 2010 Matt Kramer made a statement that profoundly altered my approach to drinking wine at home.
He stated "...I’m prepared to say that one of the truths of wine is that pretty much all wines, red or white, young or old, are better if decanted." -from (http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/42838)
I gravitate towards younger Napa Valley Cabernet and Sonoma Pinot both which benefit from a few hours in the decanter. This allows them to open up and show their true character. Decanting these wines are almost a necessity.
But what about older wines or other regions.
Most of the red wine from the North Fork is approachable right outside the bottle but some decanting allows the secondary notes to show.
I find old world wines (especially older Bordeaux) that are decanted have to be consumed rather quickly as the optimal drinking window fades after 60 minutes.
Oregon Pinot, especially younger Pinot from Eola-Amity, express beautiful fruit and earth after 30 minutes in the decanter.
The general rule of thumb in my house is all red wines are decanted.
What decanting practices do you follow?
No comments:
Post a Comment