The last stop on our tour of the North Fork was Roanoke Vineyards. I have to admit I walked into and out of the tasting room at least twice before I stopped to taste. I prefer to avoid the crowds, especially at the end of the day, and Roanoke's location at the end of the wine trail (west) means it is a great last stop.
Finally we were able to stop in when it was not crowded and after the first sip I immediately regretted not stopping in sooner. It is hard to compare them to any other wine except to say Cabernet was meant to grow on the Roanoke Vineyard. Roanoke is also known for its Gabby's Franc, which has achieved cult like status on the North Fork.
They offer a white, red, mixed and member flight. The red fight highlights what they do best, Cabernet and Cabernet based blends. The Blend One and Blend 2 (in which 2008 are the final vintages to be replaced by Prime Number) are Cabernet and Cabernet Franc blends that are on par with any Bordeaux blend. They show the combination of structure, finesse and fruit. The Blend 2 is 50% Cabernet Franc which is supported in structure by the Cab and Merlot, while the Blend One is 75% Cabernet with equal parts Merlot and Franc to round out the mouth feel. If you have a friend or colleague who doubts how great Long Island wine can be bring him or her a bottle of the Blend One.
Roanoke also celebrates Cabernet, Cabernet Franc and Merlot as single varietals. The Cabernet Franc has two offering, Gabby's and Roanoke Cabernet Franc.
The tasting room and wine's should be a must stop and not just for the fact it is on the way home. Roanoke has quickly become one of benchmarks for high quality on the North Fork
Recommendation - A must stop for the red wine and red wine blends.
No comments:
Post a Comment