Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wine by the Glass

I am traveling for the Easter Holiday. One afternoon my wife and I went to the lobby bar for a quick drink. My first choice will always be wine so I glance at the wine list and settle on a name I am familiar with 'Rutherford Ranch'. There are many issues I have with wine by the glass but I will start with my two largest.

First, for a bottle I know costs $24 retail at the store they were charging $11 a glass. Assuming they pour 4 glasses they make double the retail price of the wine. I have heard the argument that you have to add overhead for glasses and waitstaff but the bartender had no knowledge of the wine nor was the generic 4oz glass.

Second, I proceeded to ask how long the wine has been open and what is the policy, in days, for removing a wine from the shelf. After two ambiguous answers including "a few days" and "when it is bad" I determined for this markup I was potentially paying $11 for an oxidized wine that is not removed until someone complains. I fail to understand how this type of 'service' justifies such an incredible markup.

I ended up with a Sweetwater Brewery Brown Ale which was excellent and only $4.

How do you feel about wine service by the glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment