Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What I Drank - 03/19/2013

Sea Smoke is regarded as one of the premier Pinot Noir producers in the US. I have been on the Sea Smoke mailing list for two vintages. Tonight I tasted 2010 Sea Smoke 'Southing' Pinot Noir. It is one of the three single vineyard designate bottling from Sea Smoke. It is the first wine that is available to new mailing list members. I give each wine I buy from a well known producer two vintages. I was not in love with the 2009 enough to stay on the wine list but adhering to my rule I purchased the 2010 'Southing' to give it second chance.

The 2010 Sea Smoke 'Southing' Pinot Noir is distinct in its complexity. True to California it has potent berry notes in the front palate, the mid palate has subtle tannin that carry secondary notes of raspberry and cola to the extremely long finish. Yet despite the fruit and cola notes this wine is very balanced and even refined. This wine is perfectly balanced and has a finish that coasts the tongue for more than 40 seconds.

The 2010 vintage of 'Southing' (and my only bottling of Sea Smoke) proves why Sea Smoke deserves its place among the grand cru Pinot producers in California.

Recommendation - Minimum two years wait time on the wait list. At $59 it is also well priced compared to comparable "cult" Napa Cabernets. Worth the time if you have the patience.

***Editor's Note - I bought this wine at market price as part of the mailing list***

No comments:

Post a Comment