Saturday, March 16, 2013

UFC 158 Wine Pairing

When most people think of the UFC deciding what wine to open does not come to mind. I am a huge UFC fan and when I am paying 54.99 to sit on my couch for four hours I always pair the PPV with one of my must have wines. For 158 I decided to open (and decant) RUDIUS 2009 PANEK VINEYARD CABERNET SAUVIGNON. Rudius is only open to the mailing list and I typically buy only one bottle of Panek vineyard a year. I typically do not like to buy only one bottle due to the fact if you misjudge when to open a wine you do not have a second chance.

I took a risk (I prefer my Napa wines young) and opened the RUDIUS 2009 PANEK VINEYARD CABERNET SAUVIGNON. After 30 minutes in the decanter I poured my first glass. Usually 30 minutes is not enough time to mellow the tannin but this wine was very approachable. Typically approachable can mean "run the other way" but not for this wine. The oak is very noticeable in the front palate but quickly gives way to cherry and dark fruit. The tannin structure holds the fruit through the mid palate. The finish is long and coats the tongue. The finish would benefit from the wine spending more time in the decanter.

The list of complex high end Napa Valley Cabernet's is long but Rudius deserves a seat at the table.

Recommendation - It is unlikely you will find this in your local wine store, it is not carried in PA, but it is worth a part of your spring allocation. For those in PA it means having someone in NY or another neighboring state that you can trust to hold your wine.

***Editor's Note - I bought this wine as part of the mailing list with no discounts***

No comments:

Post a Comment